Monday, December 26, 2011

Pumpkin Ale

We have fallen behind on our brewing and I wish this ale had been ready for Thanksgiving, but better late than never.  I hope that this beer, with some minor changes, will become a seasonal brew for us for years to come (sorry Rob).  This year we decided upon a Pumpkin Ale that would be a sort of session beer to drink all day long over a holiday.  At 4% alcohol I think that goal was achieved.  While no actual pumpkins were harmed in the making of this beer, a mixture of allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon were used to create a pumpkin flavor.  The use of Willamette and German Hallertauer hops were a pretty good compliment to the spices, but the Double Hump twist was the use of home roasted pumpkin seeds used during fermentation. 

3 comments:

  1. I am bias but I like this beer! Great color, great head, and great flavor. A little bitter in the aftertaste that I think is caused by a late hop addition and the pumpkin seeds. I was hoping the seeds would impart a roasted flavor but I'm just not getting that. A- overall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Brandon that this beer has great color and head. I still think that the pumpkin flavor could be more prominent, because that is the part that I love from a pumpkin ale. I also noted the bitterness in the aftertaste. As the representative of the female taste buds in this venture, I am hoping Brandon will figure out how to make it more pumpkiny next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I liked the Pumpkin Ale better than the Octoberfest. Honestly though the difference in preference is very little. They both are quality brews with good color to them. I give the Pumpkin B+

    ReplyDelete