Saturday, October 1, 2011

Amber with Spearmint

I don't know why I was obsessed with using spearmint in a beer, but I was and this is the result.  I am also a fan of amber ales and was disappointed with our first amber attempt, so I combined my need for a better amber ale with the need to put spearmint in a beer.  We also had to move our brewing location due to unforeseen  difficulties, so this is the first beer brewed at the new location.  I also want to thank my friend Rob (not the one in our little beer club) for donating a refrigerator so that I now have complete control over fermentation temperatures.  I will let you know how I think that effected the beer in my tasting comment.  Finally I experimented with large amounts of steeping grains.  I steeped 4.5 lbs of Honey, Crystal 30, and Cara-Pils grains.  This beer used Galena and Liberty hops, Spearmint in the secondary fermentor, had an OG of 1.046, and 22 IBUs. 

Here are some pictures of the new brewery.






























2 comments:

  1. I thought this beer had a good looking head, but it died too quickly. It tasted almost creamy (I think the refrigerator fermentation and the Cara-Pils grain might have caused this) in a good way, with just the right amount of hops and spearmint flavoring. It did have a bit of a grassy aftertaste which I am hoping will dissipate with more aging. Overall this is a much better amber than our first one and might even be our best beer if given another two or three weeks of aging. I will check back and let you know what I think in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spearmint flavoring made this amber sweeter than I expected, but it was still a great flavor. The beer almost tastes like liquorice to me. I'd be interested to try some and then have some jager to see a flavor comparison.

    ReplyDelete